Braised Winter Greens with Coconut and Curry
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 cup)
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed (about 5 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 pounds kale or collard green, ribs removed, leaves chopped into 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 T lime juice
- Garnish: 1⁄3 cup toasted cashews
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, fresh ginger and curry powder; cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add half of greens and stir until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add remaining greens, broth, coconut water and ¼ teaspoon salt; quickly cover pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, 25 to 35 minutes for kale and 35 to 45 minutes for collards.
- Remove lid and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of liquid has evaporated, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove pot from heat; stir in 2 teaspoons lime juice and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and remaining teaspoon lime juice.