- 1 c. watermelon, washed, quartered, de-seeded and lightly crushed. Reserve seeds for roasting or use a seedless variety.
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Place fruit in bowl. Cover with sugar and stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator until juice exudes from fruit and starts to combine with sugar to form syrup. This may take only 5 or 6 hours, or it may need a couple of days. A longer maceration won't harm anything, so feel free to leave it in fridge longer than it might need.
- Strain syrup from fruit. Press lightly on solids to express any remaining juice/syrup. Scrape remaining sugar into syrup.
- Add vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Pour through funnel into clean jar or bottle. Cap and shake vigorously, and mark date on bottle. Store in refrigerator.
- Check periodically. Some sugar may remain undissolved for up to a few days. Shake to combine. After about a week, acids in juice and vinegar should dissolve sugar entirely.
Add 2 – 3 TBS. to sparkling water and enjoy over ice. Add to vodka, tequila or a spirit of your choice to create a unique cocktail. Experiment!
Serving Size for 6
Calories 143; Total Fat 0g; Saturated Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 3mg; Total Carbohydrates 35g; Dietary Fiber 0g, and Protein 0g.