Pumpkin Spice Cashew Cheese Dip
Vegan, yields 4 c.
Serving size 1⁄4 c. per person
Recipe adapted from lunchboxbunch.com
- 1 15 oz. can organic pumpkin puree
- 2 c. raw cashews
- 1⁄2 c. water (use soaked nut salted water)
- 1⁄4 c. maple syrup
- 2-3 T. grapeseed oil (or olive)
- 1⁄2 t. sea salt, or to taste
- 1⁄4 c. lemon juice
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 t. cayenne
- Soak the raw cashews overnight in salted water. Drain, reserving the soaking water.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Add the drained cashews, pumpkin, maple syrup, lemon juice, oil, salt and spices to a food processor or high speed blender.
- Add the water in a few splashes at a time, adding more if needed. Process the cheese into a thick texture, a bit thicker than hummus. Process until the desired texture is reached (at least 2 minutes on high).
- Pour your cheese into your baking serving dish (for a firmer dip, use a shallow dish, or for a smooth and creamy texture, use a small deep baking dish). Grate fresh nutmeg over the top, or add pumpkin seeds as a garnish.
- For a shallow dish, bake at 250°F for about 50 minutes. For the deep dish where you only want to warm the center and crisp the top you only need to bake at 250°F for 20-30 minutes. The cheese dip will dry out the longer you bake it.
- Serve with fresh chopped veggies, apple slices, crackers or bread.
Nutrition Information: Calories 127; Total Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 2g; Sodium 124mg; Total Carbohydrates 11g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Protein 3g, and Vitamin A 83%.