Stuffing with Chestnuts & Sausage
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 Smit Ranch Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1⁄4 pound savory sage sausage, cooked
- 2 T. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 package roasted and peeled chestnuts, coaresly chopped
- 1 lb. day old bread, cut into 3⁄4 inch cubes
- 11⁄2–2 c. chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the onions, celery and apples in the butter for 2 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sage, chestnuts and bread cubes with the onion, apples and celery.
- Begin adding stock 1⁄2 cup at a time, to moisten and hold mixture together. Mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place stuffing in a lightly buttered baking dish and cover tightly with foil and bake in a 350° oven for 45–50 minutes until stuffing is soft.
- You may loosely stuff a portion of the uncooked stuffing inside of your turkey before roasting. (Over stuffing the bird will result in a much longer baking time).
- To achieve a brown topping you may remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking time.