Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Pecans
- 8–10 medium beets (red, golden, or a combination)
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 T. chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 c. chopped lightly toasted pecans
- If the beets have leaves and stems, trim off the leaves and all but 1⁄4 inch of the stems. Wash the beets.
- In a large saucepan or stockpot fit with a steamer basket, steam the beets until a paring knife enters them easily, 30–45 minutes, depending on their size. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm.
- Peel the beets; the skin will rub right off. Trim and discard the tops and tails and cut the beets into thick wedges.
- Transfer the beets to a large serving bowl and drizzle with the olive oil and vinegar.
- Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the goat cheese, oregano, and pecans over the beets and serve.