Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
- 4 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t. pure vanilla extract or zest of 2 lemons, and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in vanilla or lemon juice and zest.
- Form dough into four balls and flatten into disks, wrap each disk in plastic wrap; chill for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. (Dough scraps may be chilled and re-rolled once to make additional cookies.)
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges just start to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks. Cookies may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks, and they freeze great!