Filled and Grilled Cheese Sandwich
8 sun dried tomato halves
1 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui, or Spanish Sweet, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 tablespoons purchased basil flavored olive oil or olive oil
4 1/2 inch thick slices sourdough bread
14 1/2 inch wheel Brie cheese, chilled
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
fresh basil sprigs
- Place dried tomatoes in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Brush onion with some of the olive oil. Place onion slices on a grill rack directly over medium hot coals for 12 to 16 minutes or until both sides are
- slightly charred, turning once. Set aside.
- Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the chilled Brie.
- Drain and rinse tomatoes.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with remaining oil, placing bread slices oiled sides down on waxed paper.
- Arrange half of cheese slices on two of the bread slices, oiled sides down.
- Top cheese with onion, tomatoes and almonds. Top with remaining cheese and bread slices, oiled sides up. Press gently to keep ingredients from
- spilling out during grilling.
- Carefully place sandwiches on the grill rack directly over medium hot coals. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until the cheese is just melted and the
- bread is toasted.
- To serve, cut each large sandwich in half. Garnish cut sandwich halves with fresh basil sprigs, if desired. Serve immediately.